There is no need to sort by destination for Royal Mail’s unsorted mail services. On top of that, your mail items can be of various shapes and sizes, which make these services ideal for your daily mail requirements. Furthermore, you can choose from two delivery speeds: First Class or Second Class. This means that after you mail has arrived in the UK the delivery aim is next day (First Class) or within 3 days (Second Class).
Royal Mail offers the following unsorted mail services:
- Standard Tariff Letters
In addition to the above services, if you send Letter items up to 100 grams, you could benefit from a so-called workshare discount with:
- Business Mail Letter
For larger and heavier items between 50 and 750 grams, you can get a workshare discount with:
- Business Mail Large Letter
There is also a tracking service for unsorted packets up to 20kg*. This service is called:
- Royal Mail Tracked®
* See ‘Some details per product’ for more information on the maximum weight.
Some details per product
Standard Tariff Letters
This service allows you to send any volume of any shape that fit within the Letter, Large Letter and Packet formats. For First Class there is no maximum weight requirement, but the maximum Packet format is 460mm x 460mm x 610mm. The maximum weight for a Second Class Packet is 1kg.
Packetpost™ is generally more cost-effective than Standard Tariff Letters for larger, heavier items. It is therefore only applicable for the Large Letter and Packet formats. First Class Packets can weigh up to 20kg and Second Class Packets up to 2kg. There is no minimum volume requirement per mailing, but you must send at least 5,000 Larger Letter or Packet items per year.
Royal Mail Tracked®
This is a cost-effective tracked delivery service for non-urgent packets. It offers the same two delivery speeds as the other unsorted services, but they are named differently:
- Royal Mail Tracked Next Day® (for delivery on the next working day) and
- Royal Mail Tracked® (for delivery within 2-3 working days).
You must send at least 2,000 packets per year to be able to use the Royal Mail Tracked® service and at least 5,000 packets per year to be able to access Royal Mail Tracked Next Day®. Unlike other Royal Mail packet services, you can send items up to 15kg. If you send more than 300,000 packets per year the maximum item weight is increased to 20kg.
Business Mail Letter
These services give you a discount on the Standard Tariff Letters basic Letter rate if you can print an OCR-readable font, a barcode or a licence number on your mail item. You must also send at least 1,000 items per mailing.
Business Mail Large Letter
Similar to the Business Mail Letter services, you have to ensure that your items are machine-readable by using an OCR font when printing the address, but your item must be a Large Letter. For this service you have to send at least 250 items per mailing.
- Recorded Signed For: If you have important documents to send, there’s one less thing to worry about with Royal Mail’s Recorded Signed For service. You get proof of posting and Royal Mail also asks for a signature on delivery. For peace of mind, you can check online when your item was delivered.
Note: you can use this service in addition to all the abovementioned unsorted services, as well as Packetsort™ 8 and Packetsort™ Plus.
- Safeplace™: To make sure your parcel is delivered, you can offer your customers Safeplace™. This service allows your customer to indicate where a parcel can be left behind in a safe place on their premises when it doesn’t fit in their letterbox. This service is offered free of charge and is exclusively available with Royal Mail Tracked®. All you need to do is apply for a licence.
- Local Collect Business™ is a value-added service that gives your customers the option to pick up a parcel from their preferred Post Office®. There is a small fee per Local Collect Business™ label.
Ask your Spring Global Mail representative for more details.
Download more detailed information
- Destination United Kingdom
- Standard Tariff Letters
- Royal Mail Tracked®
- Reduce your mailing costs
(for the Business Mail Letter and Large Letter Services)
- Standard Tariff Letters and Packetpost™ User Guide
- Royal Mail’s tracked services - Your guide
- Create a Printed Postage Impression (PPI)
- Please ask your account manager for a PPI HQ number first!
How much does it cost?
The rates for the unsorted services are contained in the product-specific rate cards (see the rate cards listed above) or for a quick calculation go to the Royal Mail online price calculator.
The cost for Royal Mail Tracked® depends on your mailing profile. Therefore, there is no standard rate card available for this service, but you can use this product-specific online calculator for an estimate.
- All tariffs are quoted in pound sterling, so please contact us if you would like a quotation in your local currency.
- The tariffs are exclusive of transportation costs to the United Kingdom. We would be happy to send you a quote for the entire package.
- For Recorded Signed For, please add 95 pence to the postage for the service you are using. Price is valid from 02 April 2012 for approximately 1 year.
- Safeplace™ is free of charge with Royal Mail Tracked Next Day® and Royal Mail Tracked®.
- A fee of £1.00 is charged per Local Collect Business™ label. You need to be pre-pay this at the time you order the labels and there is a minimum of 250 labels per order.
Other Royal Mail services
- If you can sort your mail, you can save! Check out Royal Mail's sorted mail services.
- Would you like your customers to respond to your mailing? Find out more about Royal Mail's Response Services.
Note: These services are subject to Royal Mail's terms and conditions.